This group’s purpose is to study the child’s experience in worship And to plan for ministries that grow young worshipers and a supportive faith community.
Some people brought their children to Jesus so that he could bless them by placing his hands on them. But his disciples told the people to stop bothering him. When Jesus saw this, he became angry and said: “Let the children come to me! Don’t try to stop them. People like these little children belong to the kingdom of God. I promise you that you cannot get into God’s kingdom, unless you accept it the way a child does” (Mark 10: 13-15 CEV)
Scripture tells us how to understand children in worship. They belong. In fact, Jesus not only welcomed children to himself to bless them, but he also used their receptivity to him as an example of what we adults sometimes forget. Faith or trust in Jesus is the heart of our Christian life for all of us.
In our Children in Worship Ministry, we are working on ways to nurture Calvary’s children in worship and to assist parents and congregation members in supporting the child’s worship. Earlier this spring we held a meeting with parents of younger children to discuss what this ministry has been working on, to ask what were their needs, and to ask what they would like to see for the future of this ministry.
Here is some of what we have been working on since then:
- Building up the pew pal ministry through adding resources that connect our children with our worship services
- Sharing books that fit the day or season of the church year
- Enhancing the children’s time in worship by providing visual displays and more “hands on” activities
- Partnering with Calvary’s music ministries to build up opportunities for children’s music in worship
- Partnering with our worship planning groups to look for opportunities to uplift our children in worship
- Planning for a “brag area” to display our children’s artwork which is created during worship
- Planning resources and experiences for the congregation that will grow an understanding of the importance of children in worship and equip the congregation to welcome children
- Beginning a worship milestone for kindergarten thru second graders
- Holding a kickoff event on Sunday, September 15, 2013 to recognize and emphasize the importance of children in worship
Kid Friendly pews now available!
Families with children, we invite you to sit in the front two rows (left side) of the sanctuary on Sundays, where there will be children-friendly books and interactive items to help guide your children through the worship service. We believe that for many children, sitting in the front of the sanctuary will assist families in being connected and engaged in the worship services. Children sitting up front are able to easily watch and wonder about worship! If you have questions or ideas for how we can encourage our children's worship, please be in touch with our children in worship group (Kristen Boone, chair, Jo Ellen Johnson, Amanda Skinner, Lisa Hunkele, or Pastor Debbie)