The logo, with the cross, water and a white lily, identifies women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as children of God; baptized, forgiven, adopted into God's family, full of grace and hope in eternal life. It is a reminder of the growth, beauty, and vitality that rises out of that life-giving baptismal water. It is also a reminder of the mission of the church to "Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 28:19)
PURPOSE STATEMENT FOR THE WOMEN OF THE
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN AMERICA
As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society and the world.
To accomplish the purpose of Women of the ELCA, women in this unit shall commit themselves to:
- Come together for study, support, and action;
- Participate in the ministry of Women of the ELCA beyond this congregation;
- Support financially the total program of Women of the ELCA, and
- Designate leadership that shall be in communication with the synodical and churchwide women’s organization.
Women of the ELCA is a national organization that follows the Constitution and Bylaws set by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Calvary Lutheran Church Women of the ELCA’s Constitution and Bylaws governs the structure and operation of Calvary’s Women of the ELCA. This document governs the structure and operation of Calvary’s Women of the ELCA and can be found on Calvary’s website www.clcofconcord.organd go to Ministries and Groups, Women Circles, there is a page that has a link to a .pdf file. Copies are also available by request (please contact the church office 704-782-6923).
LEVELS OF Women of the ELCA:
- ELCA -Churchwide (National)
- Senate-Synod - North Carolina State - (SWO) Statewide Organization
- Conference - District (Cabarrus/Stanly)
- Congregation (Unit) - Calvary Lutheran Church Women
Women of the ELCA—Churchwide Organization:
North Carolina Statewide Organization (NCSWO):
ALL Women of Calvary Lutheran are members. Your attendance and participation at business and circle meetings is an opportunity we hope you will consider. All are welcome and needed to serve our Lord.
COMMITTEES AND CIRCLES
- Care and Concern Committee:
- Christmas Tea Committee:
- CVAN Coordinator:
- Growing in Faith Committee:
- Heavenly Hand Cream
- Iris Martin Arey Nursing Fund:
- Mother’s and Father’s Day - Recognition of the Special People in Our Lives:
- 80+ Birthday Cakes:
- Nominating Committee
- Ruth Circle: Meets the 2nd Monday of each month at 10:00 a.m.
- Shepherdess Circle Meets the 1st Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
- Lydia's Quilters Meets the 4th Monday of each month at 9:30 a.m.
- Women's Bible Study Meets the 3rd Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. (Sept - May)
CALVARY WOMEN OF THE ELCA 2015 GOALS
- Attend Spring and Fall Cabarrus/Stanly Conference meetings
- Assist with meals at funeral services through the Bereavement Committee
- Continue to provide Bible studies
- Help battered and abused women through CVAN by donating needed items
- Continue making "Heavenly Hand Cream"
- Give monetary support to Lutheran Theological Southern seminary
- Maintain homebound adoptions and 80+card ministry through Calvary's Circles. In response to Christ's call to remember those who cannot be with us regularly, each Circle has accepted this responsibility by remembering them in prayer, cards and visits on birthdays, Easter and Christmas. We have allocated $60 per year for each of our homebound members. Funds to support this project are generated through a special bulletin offered on Mother's and Father's Day.
- Present birthday cakes to Calvary members celebrating 80 plus birthdays
- Hold a Christmas gathering at a local restaurant for all Calvary women
- Give Iris Martin Arey Nursing Scholarships
- Coordinate Mother's and Father's Day Bulletins ( donations to aid the homebound )
- Send a representative from Calvary Women of the ELCA to the NC Statewide
- Organization Gathering at Lenior-Rhyne in June 19-21, 2015
- Coordinate the collection of Women of the ELCA Thank Offering Boxes from the past year and distribute new boxes for 2016 Thank Offerings to be sent to the Women of the ELCA national office where the money is used to support Women of the ELCA projects worldwide. Place coins in the Thank Offering boxes throughout the year for blessings for which you are particularly thankful.
- Coordinate the annual Christmas Tea
- Make $25 memorial gift upon the death of a circle/board member
BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR WOMEN’S ORGANIZATION
The council minutes of a called meeting on May 6, 1930 mentions the Ladies Aid Society and their request (which was apparently accepted) to furnish the Chancel of the church, then located on Buffalo Street. In August, 1933, the Ladies Aid Society was approved to have painting done on the outside of the church.
By 1946, it was the Ladies Aid and Missionary Societies. In their report for that year, they reported 34 members in the Missionary Society and 39 in the Ladies Aid.
In 1954, Calvary Lutheran moved to their new facility on Lake Concord Road. According to the annual 1956 report and 1957 directory, the United Lutheran Church Women of Calvary had four circles meeting monthly in the homes of the members.
In 2000, Calvary Lutheran relocated to its present facility where Calvary currently has three circles, Ruth Circle, Shepherdess Circle, and Lydia's Quilters.